Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Zumba Fitness @ Teen Hangout

Plenty of curious patrons visited Teen Hangout to find out why music was coming from our meeting room. Paula, from de Calypso Fitness Dance and Yoga Studio, introduced teens to the popular dance fitness, Zumba. We learned to break a sweat with merengue, cumbia, and country dance moves. Teens were initially shy but by the end of the program we were dancing the choreography of Shakira's Waka Waka (This Time for Africa). We were disappointed for the program to end.
To find out more about Paula and de Calypso Fitness Dance and Yoga Studio, visit their Facebook page ---- de Calypso Fitness Dance and Yoga Studio

Join us next week,
July 6 @ 5pm
Yoga for Teens

Read below the invitation from the yoga instructors that will be joining us next week!


Yoga Then and Now
I was in high school in the sixties when the Beatles made their famous trip to India to study meditation with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Imagine the sensation they created! I wanted to meditate like they did. I set up a mattress on the floor of my bedroom, covered it with an India print spread, called it my “meditation pad” and proceeded to sit. I had no idea what I was doing and knew of no place where I could get instruction, but I wanted to know.

Things have changed since then. Nowadays there are places all over the world where you can learn to meditate, practice poses, work with the breath, chant, and other yogic practices. My first guided step down the yogic path began with poses. They have fun names like Downward Facing Dog, Pigeon, and Tree. I enjoy the stretching, strengthening, and calmness I get from doing them. Most Americans start with the poses for these reasons.

Now that I teach yoga, I do hands-on stretching and then allow the student to stretch themselves. Keith Roseman and I developed this style. We call it “Abhaya Yoga” (Fearlessness Yoga). It feels great and focuses concentration in the body. Most beginning yoga students can practice this kind of yoga.

I invite you to join me if you want to experience the joy of yoga. A journey starts with the first step.

And to think that the Beatles started it all for me.

Thanks,
Gregory Keith Roseman, LMT, AMTA, NCTM, LMTI, Reiki Master/Teacher
Katie Lopez RYT 500
Southwest Wellness Clinic
1848 Trawood
El Paso, Texas 79935
Phone: (915) 633-6200
E-mail: keith@southwestwellnessclinic.com
Web Page: http://www.southwestwellnessclinic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment